IMG_2790 (600x800)

I had a little challenge with the final exterior on the Shoe House, because I had wires to hide. I had purchased this wooden base from Michael’s a while back, and realized that the hole in the bottom (the base came like that) would be perfect.

IMG_2789 (600x800)

I gathered all the wires (splicing on more wire where they weren’t long enough), stuffed them through the hole, then pieced artificial grass around it (the German grass sheet bought at Hobby Builders Supply).

IMG_2788 (600x800)

IMG_2787 (600x800)

Ready for landscaping and finishing.

IMG_2792 (600x800)

Shoelace is a piece of grosgrain ribbon that came with the kit. I painted it black and dabbed on polka-dots… or rather, Mrs. Mouse did. She didn’t like it plain.

The most amazing thing about this ribbon is that it was lying about loose while my entire real house got packed up and then unpacked (for reflooring). When I needed the ribbon, I found it right away! That will never happen to me again.

IMG_2791 (600x800)

The rest of the landscaping is model railroad supplies, painting, and glue.

Bushes around the base, which hide the wiring and hole are clumpy green model rr landscaping stuff. I tore pieces to the size I wanted, dipped in quick-dry tacky glue, and stuck it around the house. Then I dry-brushed blue, pink, yellow, and red for flowers.

The vines: I used vines to cover the wires coming out of the house. Here’s how I did it:

I took 0000 steel wool and pulled it apart until I had very thin strands but still a bit meshed together. I painted them green. You could spray paint these, but slathering on dark green acrylic craft paint worked fine.

I glued the painted strands of steel wool to the house where I wanted them (over the strands of wires). Once that was dry, I dribbled tacky glue on the strands (a small area at a time), and sprinkled loose green model railroad landscaping foam over them. When dry, I shook off the excess. Did this until I had fairly uniform green all over the vines.

For flowers, I dabbed the vines with tacky glue (I use Aleen’s Quick-Dry tacky–it’s a white bottle with a silver label), and then dribbled on colored loose model railroad foam. I’m finding that mixing colors (blue with white, red with yellow) makes the flowers look more natural and realistic.

IMG_2790 (600x800)

And that’s it! The inside still needs finishing touches, but I’ll get there. I can never build a house in one go .. I have to work to a point, put it aside, and come back to it. That way I stay excited about the project instead of burning out.

I have another 1/4 scale project I’m working on, then I think I’ll return to 1″ scale for a change!

Advertisements