Because I need more dollhouses, I opened up the half-inch scale bungalow kit by RGT and took a peek. Unable to resist, I started in.

IMG_3112

I had originally wanted to build the one-inch scale version of this house, but realized I just had no room for it! The half-inch will fit nicely onto a shelf or table.

IMG_3063

IMG_3111

So, here I go.

First step, identify all the parts. This kit doesn’t have that many main parts–the details (posts, railings, rafters, trim) makes up the bulk of the pieces. The house itself is beautifully simple.

I then painted the clapboard walls with a base coat of latex paint. I had some leftover from a recent wall painting in my real house. The final color won’t be this–I’m going to do a deep red/brown.

IMG_3113

IMG_3114

I like to do a tape together to see what I’ve got, and the instructions to this kit actually have you do that as a step. The foundation is taped in place on my table.

IMG_3115

Foundation plus base / first floor.

IMG_3117

Dormer window taped together.

IMG_3119

First floor walls.

IMG_3120

IMG_3121

Second floor, which also forms the porch roof, plus the second-floor walls.

IMG_3122

Roof added.

IMG_3123

IMG_3124

The inside with room dividers. I’ve decided to put my downstairs room interior wall to the right of the front door (looking from the back of the house) as opposed to the left in the prototype. This makes a big room with front door and staircase; the smaller room will be the kitchen.

Upstairs, there’s not a lot of choice but to put the room dividers to either side of the big dormer, as they support the roof.

IMG_3126

IMG_3127

The dormer added to the roof front.

Once I had the parts together to see what I was going to have, I started on the porch railings and posts.

I made the horrifying discovery that my kit contained no layout diagrams for the porch railings. The instructions kept saying “tape the railing to the diagram…” I looked at every page, made sure nothing was in the box, checked and checked again … nuttin’

I went online to RGT, and there I found downloadable instructions for the Bungalow, which has the layout diagram I was missing:

http://www.realgoodtoys.com/pages/dollhouse-assembly-instructions

Thank you Real Good Toys.

So–IMG_3129

House with posts and rails and paint chips.

IMG_3131

Here I have the rails assembled–which were not that difficult. The balusters are thin pieces of stripwood that fit into the grooves in the top and bottom railings. I sanded out the groove of the railings before I tried to glue in. It’s a bit tricky to get the top railing on, but I positioned and repositioned the balusters while the glue was still wet, then squeezed down on the top and bottom rails.

The posts and rails are not glued yet in these photos–this is a test fit. When I paint everything I’ll do pics of what the process of building the posts and rails looks like.

Now I need to take everything apart and paint before assembling. I also need to decide how I’m going to decorate the interior.

I lived in a bungalow when I was very little, and remember that the house was built in a square–living room with dining room behind it on one side, a den with kitchen behind it on the other (dining room led into kitchen). The stairs were in the exact middle of the house, or close enough.

This dollhouse is typical of many dollhouses, basically a cross-section of a house. Instead of depth, it has one long area on first and second floors. I understand why–ease of access. If a dollhouse is meant to be a toy, then of course, this layout makes sense.

I’m going to try to think of how I can make it more realistic. Or I might just go with the layout as is, and make it so nice it doesn’t matter!

More as I build.

Advertisements