IMG_3177

The parts of the RGT half-inch scale Bungalow laid out for painting. I always forget when starting a dollhouse a) how much pre-painting I have to do; and b) how messy it is! But mess is half the fun.

IMG_3176

The main colors I chose for the exterior. The red is called Autumn Apples, a paint by Valspar that I got at Ace Hardware. The finish is eggshell. For the railings and all the trim, I’m using leftover paint from repainting the hall in my real-size house. The can does not have the color on it, but it’s a dark white, almost sand colored. (On the walls of the real house, it looks browner than the light white for we used for trim).

IMG_3137

IMG_3138

The parts after the first-coat painting. I put on three coats, sanding between, before I liked how it looked.

IMG_3179

The post bases. The ones that wrap almost all the way around go on the corners; the U-shaped ones are the center posts.

Originally, I was going to leave the post bases the same sand/white as the rest of the railings and posts. But they didn’t look that great (they’re MDF), so I decided to go with gray stucco.

IMG_3180

I mix my own stucco with white terrarium sand and gray paint (medium gray from Folk Art). I should have painted the posts gray first before I put on the stucco, because the white I’d already painted showed through, but live and learn.

IMG_3178

I mixed the gray and terrarium sand, painted that on, then after it dried, went over it with the gray by itself several times.

IMG_3140

Let the build begin! Foundation glued together.

IMG_3168 (1)

I planned to leave the foundation painted gray, but I could not get the join exactly straight, and no amount of sanding would smooth it (again, these are made of MDF). So I …

IMG_3169

… had some leftover stone textured paper from another project, and cut and glued this around the foundation. I like how it turned out.

IMG_3173

IMG_3174

Next, I glued the ground floor on top of the foundation, weighting it with, what else? Books on minis and houses.

IMG_3175

First floor walls set in place to mark where the porch floor will be.

IMG_3181

I debated about the porch floor–wood flooring? Brick? The craftsman era bungalows around my town have cement porches (I live in a hot climate), and I decided a cement-look would be easiest. I wouldn’t have to worry about cutting around the posts or the posts not fitting.

I painted with medium gray from Folk Art, and swirled the paint with my brush as it dried. The paint went on much better to the plywood, and only took one coat.

IMG_3182

The posts, railings, and post base caps in place. Getting these all to fit exactly right and straight was a little fiddly, but the instructions that come with the kit are good. I laid the porch beam across the front to make sure the posts lined up. The wood bits sticking out from under the railings are shingles to lift the railings a little off the porch while they dry.

IMG_3185

Post bases, post caps, and posts, with steps painted to match the porch. Trim to hide the raw edges will be added later.

IMG_3184

The porch details more or less complete: post bases, post base caps, posts, post caps, arches, and porch beam! The kit gives you a choice of using all the posts and arches or not–but I said “Go for it! Use it all! Go crazy!”

I need to do some sanding and touch-up paint, but the porch and first floor exterior walls are done.

Advertisements