I realized I needed to stop and plan the electricity before I finished the staircases (with railings and posts), because:

I want to do chandeliers

Chandelier wires will run up to the floor above

I need to have the wiring in place before I can put the flooring in

I need to put the flooring in before I can finish the staircases.

I had the mad idea to make my own lighting fixtures for this house, which turned out much better than I expected! (photos below)

So, here we go. I decided to do tape wiring–I will do mostly ceiling lights, so tape will go on the floors, where it will be hidden by flooring (which I won’t glue all the way down so it can be removed for repairs)

I pondered a long time how to run the tape, considering I had already finished some of the walls.

I hit on building a small wall in the back and running the tape up the inside of that, hidden from all eyes.

img_6770

A 1-inch by 1/8-inch wood strip. The strip not only hides the tape but the raw edges of the interior walls.

img_6772

Tape runs up the inside of the board, which will later be painted.

img_6773

Comes out on the floors.

img_6774

This is as far as I’ve gone–floor of the third story. When I get more walls and the roof on, I’ll continue. You’ll notice my messy folds. I prefer to fold rather than splice, because splices can come undone. I learned to do this from the book: Dollhouse Lighting: Electrification in Miniature (http://www.miniatures.com/Dollhouse-Lighting-Electrification-In-Miniature-P17973.aspx)

Now: The lighting fixtures.

7

Here are some of my supplies. I had to go buy a storage box at a craft store for these along with what I already have.

img_6778

I had in mind to make a “porcelain” chandelier using instructions found in the book “Bangles, Baubles, and Beads,” sold by JAR / JAF Miniatures http://jar-jaf.com/ (click on “Books” ; they also have the electrification book)

img_6779

Findings being glued on the main chandelier wheel. This will be electrified, but by a single bulb while the candles are faked.

img_6780

The basic chandelier put together.

img_6781

A glossy white coat transforms it.

img_6782

Next, I painted the leaves with Kelly green tube acrylic paint (Liquitex).

img_6784

I wasn’t certain of the color for the roses until I put it on, but I like it! The pink is also Liquitex tube acrylic paint (found in the artists section of craft stores or art supply stores). The color for roses and leaves is dry-brushed on very carefully. No globs!

img_6785

The finished chandelier (except for the candles)

img_6788

It lights! (Getting the wires through the medallion and the upper floor involved a bit of colorful language. Even the cats ran.)

img_6790

I’ve added the candles.

Now–this chandelier doesn’t give out much light, because the bulb glows through the bottom finding. Looks pretty, but not much illumination.

img_6791

So I said, What the heck? Let’s add a sconce. I have the findings on hand.

img_6792

This is a modification of a sconce in JAR / JAF’s book–I didn’t have the exact findings, but these were very close. The candle light socket and flame bulb can be purchased inexpensively from CirKit Concepts (http://cir-kitconcepts.com/shop/  Click “Light bulbs”)

img_6793

I stuck it here on the wall by the turn of the stairs. It will be hard to see once all the walls are on, but it will light up the corner.

img_6796

 

img_6794

Both lamps in place.

img_6795

Another shot of the lights.

Yay! Now that those problems are solved (and I’ve stopped cursing), I will now put in the flooring! So I can finish the stairs and stop obsessing about them.

 

Advertisements