Now that I have the staircase railings started and the tower front on, I’m moving up to the third floor.


I’m focusing on the tower side of the house, since I cut my Beacon Hill in half. I’ll do the other half when I put the other part of the house together on its own.

The above picture shows interior 3rd floor walls 4 and 5, which go on the right side (as you look at the house), or as I call it, the tower or porch side.


The walls slot together like this …


… and go onto the third floor like this.


Because I’m finishing as I go, I gave my walls a light coat of paint to prep for wallpaper.



I decided to use scrapbook paper to keep on with my shabby chic theme.


Now for the roof! I skipped the chimney section of the instructions, as I am sticking with the tower / porch side of the house only. The pieces here are: Mansard roof base (thick right-angled piece on the left; above it the Mansard roof base trim right; back roof edge (the long, narrow piece); the Mansard roof support back; and the pile of mansard roof supports. Also the Mansard roof top (the ceiling of the third floor).


These pieces are fairly straightforward. This is the Mansard roof base on the right side of the house (as you look at the house).


The walls added in–notice the ends of the walls go into slots in the base.



The “roof support, back” has two notches in it–to go on the two tabs of the wall.


The rest of the supports go around into the slots.


The support on the left doesn’t have a notch in its nose. This one goes against the tower wall, where there is no slot on the roof  base.


Pretty straightforward so far. I’m not going to put the roof panels on yet–the supports aren’t even glued. I want to do more with interior decorating and electrics first.


Oops number One: In my zeal to move on, I totally missed a step. There are two long wood strips called “second floor back edge” and “third floor back edge.” Because I’m not using the interior walls, I didn’t see the instructions for this (which were at the bottom of the section on interior walls). Basically, they are long strips that finish the back edges of the house.

But–since I already put the long vertical strip on to hide the tape wiring, I had to cut the pieces to size.


Fortunately, they were easy to cut with a saw and miter box.

Then I had to paint the backside of them, because I’ve already finished the ceilings in the rooms, so I didn’t want to glue them on until they were painted.


Here they are glued in place to finish the back edges. The interior sides are painted the vintage white color I’m using for the rooms. I’ll paint the outside either the house or house trim color.

Oops Number Two:

I realized when looking at the roof piece, that I really need the interior wall of the third floor (the one that would go between the tower and the part of the house I cut away). The wall needs to support the roof.

So I grabbed the third floor interior wall, stuck the door I’d punched out back in, and wallpapered it.


Because I cut the third floor in half, I cut away the slots that take the wall notches. I decided to glue a strip on the underside of the second floor ceiling to support it (finishing the strip to look like molding on the ceiling below).


Once the wallpaper was on, I stuck the wall in place.

img_6848 img_6849

Now it’s glued in and attached to the tower.


I plan to put a wall on the empty side, but thought I could wait–however if I want to figure out where I can cut the roof top, I needed to see where it would land on the top walls … And so, the wall is back in. It looks weird now, hanging in space, but there will be more walls below it.



Now that I have *that* done, I’m going to stop building and continue with lighting fixtures and flooring.

I’ll be making another chandelier!


Warning, buying findings and putting them together is addicting …