The single windows of the Beacon Hill are pretty straightforward. I remember when putting together the Fairfield, I couldn’t make the windows look decent, so I purchased Houseworks windows, but I like how they designed the Beacon Hill ones. They’ve made them so you can paint the parts different colors for a nice contrast.

img_7357

The pieces: 3 sill parts (the short, horizontal ones), 3 top trim parts, two window sashes (the ones with the crosspiece), two exterior trim pieces (side by side on the left), the outside sill trim piece, and the interior trim (on the right).

img_7358

I labeled the sill and top trim pieces to keep them separate. They are actually the same size, it turned out, so if you get them mixed up it’s ok–as long as you have a small, medium, and large of each.

img_7359

The sill pieces ready to go in on my dry run (I highly recommend a dry run before you start painting and gluing!) The pieces go in this order: 1) small 2) medium, 3) large

img_7360

The smallest sill piece in place on the bottom of the window. I had to enlarge the notches a little with a needle file.

img_7361

Medium sill piece goes on top of small.

img_7363

Large sill piece on top.

img_7364

What it looks like edge on.

img_7365

The top trim pieces are the same, except they go on 1) large, 2) medium, 3) small.

img_7366

The large top trim in place.

img_7368

Edge on so you can see large, medium, small.

img_7372

Sashes. The clear window plastic will go between these.

img_7373

Taped together for the dry run.

img_7374

Sash set in place (not glued yet).

img_7371

The narrower exterior trim piece goes on top of the thicker one.

img_7375

The exterior piece taped together for the dry run and put in place over the window sash.

img_7376

The sill trim piece goes here.

img_7377

The whole thing.

img_7385

Now to paint. I decided to paint the exterior sash the red to go with my color scheme.

img_7382

The exterior trim painted and glued together.

img_7383

The edges of the trim are rough, so I spackled and sanded to get a more even surface.

img_7386

The plastic sheet of window panes. The amazing thing is that in all the years of this kit sitting in my closet–I didn’t lose the plastic sheet! It hasn’t been inside the box for ages. A miracle.

img_7387

I’ve glued in the painted sills and top trim pieces.

img_7388

The two sash pieces are glued together with the plastic sheet sandwiched in between. The sash is now glued into the window opening. It should fit exactly–if not, sand the opening (another reason to do a dry run first).

img_7389

The exterior trim on the window, and the sill piece glued below. It needs a little sanding and finishing (this kit has many raw edges), but the window is complete. (I will do the interior trim when I finish the interior).

img_7390

First window complete. The red of the sash picks up the red in the porch trim.

img_7398

The tower window done as well.

img_7418

All three front windows in place. This is starting to look like a house!

Next post–the kitchen bay window.

Happy New Year!

Advertisements