The front door is quite lovely–it’s too bad it’s usually hidden in most photos I see of the Beacon Hill.
The pieces for the front door are on sheet 23, my infamous sheet that disintegrated. I managed to find all the parts!
All the parts punched out and ready. We have two door trims which are sandwiched together, and three parts to the doors (outer, middle, inner), which are also sandwiched together.
The interesting thing is, the front door trim has a big fanlight, but there is none in the house wall itself.
This gives you some interesting possibilities. You could leave it so the painted wall shows through, you could put a louvred fan up there, paint it a different color, or try out stained glass.
I thought about it, and decided to look through an adult coloring book type box of cards I bought myself (“art therapy”), and see if I could find a good pattern that looks like stained glass.
Found this one, so I’m going to go with it.
The doors are in 3 parts: The front, middle, and back (interior). The front and back are exactly the same. The middle parts have the solid panel in the bottom.
The middle gets sandwiched between the front and back, with the plastic window between the middle and back.
When the door panels are put together, the middle will show through the frame of the front (and back). Here is what the front will look like with the trim.
What it will look like from the back (which is amazingly the same).
Everything painted with my colors. I’ve glued the front panels (red) onto the middle, which I’ve painted white.
The plastic pane gets glued to the back of the middle panel, sandwiched between middle and back panels.
The “stained glass” panel in place.
The trim glued in place, clamped until dry.
Trim and stained glass window in place.
Now, my doors, when I put together, were so warped that I couldn’t make them stay in straight inside the door opening. They’re almost twisted, and the frames keep falling apart (see?).
So, I’m reconstructing them from scratch, using 1/4″ wood strips, plus a couple 1/2″ strips, and a some basswood for the middle panels.
Outer doors made of 1/4″ strips, with 1/2″ strip for bottom piece.
A square jig keeps everything straight.
The inner panels are 1/4″ strips with a basswood insert of about 2 3/4″ high.
All the pieces constructed.
Door panels painted in my colors.
Middle panels with plastic window inserts glued to them. I had to trim the plastic a little, but there’s enough around the edges to allow that.
Glued in place in the house.
Doors from the interior.
House so far. Much more trimming to be done!
The only thing left on this side of the house is for the trims to the porch and the curlicue pieces that go all over the place to be painted on glued on. I’m going to hold off on that while I design and build the missing wall of the house.
I’m going to do a wall with big bay windows on both floors so I’ll have more space to put furniture. I’ll show what happens in another post.