This past week, I hustled my butt and finished up the left side of the Beacon Hill. I haven’t “moved in,” but I have accomplished enough to declare this build …
Brackets and final steps:
The many pieces for the under-eave brackets.
Panels for the bay windows.
The brackets for the eaves are sandwiched together–two thins around a thick.
The roof brackets are built up of two pickets sandwiching a third and then a single curly bracket butted against the sandwich.
All brackets glued together and painted.
I go into much more detail about the brackets in THIS POST.
The eave brackets go on the left side and the front of the left side, six each, evenly spaced (that is, more evenly than I have them).
One final bracket goes around the corner on the short wall. For people who don’t cut their Beacon Hill in half, this wall leads to the tower.
Roof brackets, of course, on the roof. You need to make right facing and left facing ones (I think one right and two left, but double-check). The flat part of the posts face the front of the house. The left side roof gets three brackets–two in front and one on the back left edge (see previous photo). For the back one, the flat part of the post faces the back of the house.
Adding the panels to the bay windows. I painted the larger panels with the same trim color as the brackets and all the trim on the house. Note that the wood grain of the panels goes horizontally. All the panel pieces are the same size except for the middle of the front bay window, which is longer than the others.
The smaller panel pieces (painted with the main house color) glued over the larger. It’s tricky to center them.
These photos also show the brackets (single brackets, no sandwiches) that go around the bay windows. The left bay gets nine (3 on each side), while the front gets ten (3, 4, 3).
There we have it. I now have the top floor windows installed as well.
The left side all trimmed.
In the interior, I decided not to put in the curving staircase. I just couldn’t make it go in right and look good. I will save the stairs for another project, maybe design a room box especially to show them off.
For now, I closed up the hole in the roof and repapered the ceiling.
Second floor with closed up floor.
Another thing I’ve decided to add is posts where the open walls are to give more support for the structure. I haven’t painted or glued these in yet–they will be the last things I install so I won’t knock them around while I decorate.
I’ve started going through my furniture and deciding exactly what to put in the rooms. This side of the house will be the elegant one, while the other side will be quaint, country, shabby-chic.
THE RIGHT SIDE:
I’m starting to add more furniture and decor to both sides, and when I’m finished, I will post.
I’m dusting off my hands from this project. It has been two years since I first opened the box and started to put together the pieces!
I hope my photos and demos have been helpful. For the full process, click the “Beacon Hill Dollhouse” tag on this post, or search “Beacon Hill” in the search bar. I tried to photograph as much of the process as possible.
I’m sticking a fork in this one. It’s done!!