Now that my obsession with the Beacon Hill has been satisfied, I’m returning to older projects and cleaning them up or adding finishing touches.
I returned to the Shoe House (Quarter-Inch Scale) to add decoration and furniture to the downstairs rooms plus overhaul the electric system. It had become disconnected and a tangled mess during my move.
I soldered! I learned this in class at the Chicago show, and now I have my own soldering iron and everything (cats beware…)
Scary stuff! But I am finding that the connections are stronger and more reliable. As in, the lights work!
I had to repair almost every connection, and add new lead wires. I got the green connection junction and battery box from Lighting Bug. It’s an LED kit. For each fixture one wire feeds to the positive, one to the negative lead wire (red for positive, black negative), and those wires are screwed into positive and negative terminals in the junction box. That is hardwired (by the manufacturer) into the black battery / switch box. I now just flip the switch on the black box, and the lights come on!
The kitchen is in the bottom of the shoe, only visible through the door and window.
I added all kinds of decorative touches (pictures, plants, dishes, books, pillows, throws, various accessories) to the living / dining room.
I tend to save accessories that come with other kits that I didn’t use with the original kit, which help scatter finishing touches throughout the house.
Upstairs I added pictures, pillows, nightstand accessories, and a folded throw at the bottom of the bed (you can barely see it–it’s pink).
Fixing the lighting systems lets me get a better photo of the bathroom, which, like the kitchen, is only visible through door and window.
I’m pleased with how everything has turned out.