The Pickett Pond landscaping–pond and grass / trees–is something that could be taken to other projects.
The pieces for the landscape: A picture frame nailed to a wooden base, foam core, and printed art.
First I cut the foam core along the line shown in the previous photo. Core pieces are stacked, glued, clamped.
Foam core in place in the frame and painted black.
Foil fitted around the pond area to keep the casting resin from leaking around the frame.
The artwork is a print on heavy paper in shades of dark blue and gray to resemble the bottom of a pond. It has a 1/4 inch lip on the straight sides which I folded up and creased.
A tab wraps around the corner to keep the art piece stable.
Fitting the art piece into place in the pond.
Before the pond is poured, the shore is made from paperclay and a mold.
The mold makes a rough stone wall, which I then enhanced with rolled up pieces of paper clay.
The paper clay covers all the rough edges of the foam core and hides the foil.
Front steps are flattened stones of paper clay.
I painted the paper clay with several thin washes of gray, then by dry-brushing burnt umber and gray on random stones.
The bottom of the posts are also touched with green (the pond has already been poured here, but I painted the posts beforehand.)
Weathering the posts: The posts (1/4″ wood strips) were first painted white, then scraped with the blade of an X-acto saw to wear them. Then I brushed them with light washes of gray, and before installing, dry-brushed them with green paint.
I used Easy Cast clear casting epoxy to make the pond. I used 4 oz (2 oz of casting liquid and 2 oz of hardener mixed together in a cup). Easy Cast can be found at Michaels and probably by mail order.
Mix, mix, mix. Let set a minute to keep too many bubbles from forming, then pour.
The pour was very shallow, but with the painting beneath and the rocks sticking up, it looks much deeper. The resin has a nice shine, a good effect.
Right after I poured, I set the house in place, with the posts going into the pond, then let the pond dry and cure for 24 hours.
I didn’t photograph step by step of how I did the grass and so forth, but I used the thin chopped foam from railroad modeling as well as rr modeling ballast for the dirt (paths and between stones on steps). Spread glue on a small patch, pour on the green foam, press down, move on to next spot. Tap off excess after everything has dried and touch up bare spots.
The trees came with the kit, but I imagine they too can be found from rr modeling sites. Because the landscape base is foam core, it was easy to poke holes to “plant” the trees.
Clumpy green stuff was used to make bushes and brush.
There we have it. This is a cute little house, and I’m looking forward to decorating the interior.
I’ve since gone back to wallpaper and finish the inside of the Westville and do the front door, which I’ll post about soon.